Pennsylvania Historic Resource Survey Form
Henry Phipps gave Pittsburgh its first conservatory, a â€˜crystal palaceâ€™ designed by one of the nationâ€™s prominent architectural firms, Lord and Burnham of New York. When Phipps Conservatory opened in time for Christmas on December 7, 1893, it was Americaâ€™s largest conservatory. A few months after the grand opening, the 1894 spring flower show drew over 13,000 visitors. Another prominent architectural firm, Rutan and Russell, designed the adjacent Phipps Halls of Botany in 1901. As the Conservatory grew, other buildings and landscape features were designed by Ralph Griswold, one of Pittsburghâ€™s most important landscape architects. The Conservatory has been listed on the National Register since 1976.